Monday 5 February 2018

Letter to James Manning in America 1773

London, July 30, 1773.
Reverend And Dear Sir:
Your respectful lines by Mr. [George] Keith very much obliged me; nor am I less indebted to your candor in perusing my endeavors, being sensible that they will not bear the eye of a critic. The disadvantages under which I was at length brought into a service, conscientiously declined in the very early part of my life, in consequence of which I deprived myself of an intended more liberal education, might plead some excuse; and were you to know by what solicitation and management I was prevailed on to repeat my visits to the press, you would rather pity than blame me, and cover my numerous defects with a mantle of love.
I thought it a venture to possess one of your character with such feeble and imperfect attempts, — they are at best only fit for children in Christianity, — how, then, could I think of proposing them to the most infant seminary of learning? Indeed, sir, they were intended only as an instance of respect to yourself, to be glanced at with the friendly disposition you express. It would have impeached your last, had not the ingenious discourses of my much esteemed brother, the Rev. Dr. Stennett, been universally admired among you. As to the works of that great man, the late Dr. Gill, who was truly a father, they may justly be accounted a considerable acquisition. I know not, upon the whole, an author more judicious and consistent. The compass of his writing is astonishing, from the labors, of which he now rests until the Chief Shepherd comes, when it will appear that our endeavors for his name shall not be in vain.
But seeing you intimate that it may not be unacceptable, I presume, though with some reluctance, to send all I can collect of my publications, which together make ten little volumes, and possibly five entire pieces, and five of sermons, addresses, etc. Also the ordination of Rev. A. Booth, who sends a volume of the sermons of his predecessor, the late Mr. Wilson, and his own "Reign of Grace," etc. These will not be the less welcome for being accompanied by all the works of Mr. Bunyan, agreeably to your suggestion. These I present, with my most respectful compliments, to every member of the college, including their worthy President the Rev. Mr. James Manning [1738-1791]. Have you, sir, any stated form of bequeathment 1 If not, permit me to move for a concise account of your institution, with a direction how to describe you in a will. Such a paper, neatly printed and disposed, may be useful. Be not sparing of copies to your friends. The difference in point of expense between one or two thousand is but trifling.
As to my own works, most of them have been out of print for some years. They are chiefly practical, and all very plain. The hymns, more especially, need an apology. They are no other than artless compositions, in which the substance of occasional discourses was drawn up in a suitable form. Such a one did not occur in our stated collection. At the time, they were sung with peculiar satisfaction, the people being unacquainted with the author; but at length many of them were stolen and mangled, which induced me, at the instance of some, to print them, and so obviate any apprehension of a conceit that they were deserving of public notice. It is my study, both in preaching and in writing, to lead to those inexhaustible treasures of wisdom and comfort, the Holy Scriptures; hence the tone of my naked lines. I must observe further, that in order to make up the set, I was obliged to put in a volume containing my sermon on the experience of the saints, which was bound up in another. You will therefore excuse a duplicate of them.
It is long since I have heard from my very worthy and agreeable correspondent the Rev. Mr. [Isaac] Backus [1724-1806]. He usually much entertains me. I have often rejoiced at his accounts of the success of the gospel in your world, and am sorry to hear that at present in general it seems rather low. May the Lord of Jacob revisit it! Two things are threatening with us, — the growth of Anti-Trinitarians, in a variety of forms, for they cannot agree; nor can I forbear to say that I think a dereliction of, or indifference to the divine Sonship of our glorious Redeemer, has greatly contributed to the insolence of men against that foundation of the gospel. The other is a popular ignorance of the authority of Christ, in particular church fellowship, which some are bold enough to put on the footing of prudence and convenience among the disciples of Jesus. The one strikes at the doctrine, the other at the discipline of the gospel. But Zion is insured against the gates of hell.
I am now in the eve of my ministry and life; childless, and in a manner destitute of natural relation, having lost an excellent wife, two sons, and three daughters. It is good to be weaned from an undue attachment to the present state, but afflictions alone will not do it. My heavenly Father has been very gracious in helping me, I trust, to receive not only good at his hand, but also evil. He has given me a name and a place in his house better than that of sons or of daughters, and some spiritual children who are exceeding affectionate and dutiful.
May your valuable life be long spared, and all your instructions succeed to the advantage of mankind, and especially to the spread of the truth and the prosperity of Jerusalem.
I remain, reverend and dear sir,
Your obliged and truly affectionate brother, Benjamin Wallin.

No comments:

Post a Comment